Tuesday, July 6, 2010

So what are Collards?

I've just finished doing a little research on collards and now have some idea of what they are. Yesterday was the first time I'd heard of them and since they were being herald as some super plant I thought I should take the time to get acquainted.


According to the Wikipedia entry Collars are ...'Widely considered to be healthy foods, collards are good sources of vitamin C (only when eaten raw, because heat destroys vitamin C) and soluble fiber and contain multiple nutrients with potent anti-cancer properties, such as diindolylmethane and sulforaphane. Roughly a quarter pound (approx. 100 g) of cooked collards contains 46 calories. Researchers at the University of California at Berkeley have recently discovered that 3,3'-Diindolylmethane in Brassica vegetables such as collard greens is a potent modulator of the innate immune response system with potent anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-cancer activity.

Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
Energy 151 kJ (36 kcal)
Carbohydrates 7.1 g
Fat 0.4 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A equiv. 575 μg (64%)
Folate (Vit. B9) 76 μg (19%)
Vitamin C 26 mg (43%)
Vitamin K 623 μg (593%)
Calcium 210 mg (21%)
Percentages are relative to US recommendations for adults.
Source: USDA Nutrient database
Check out the figures on the right! What a super food!!!!

This all sounds pretty good to me and makes me think I should be eating a lot more raw food after reading that thing about vitamin C! So much for the veggies soup I made today... :-( I love eating veggies from the Brassica family, I'm a freak for brussles sprouts so these should also make my tastebuds happy.

As of today these are officially on my veggies-to-grow list! Here's a few links on Collards and Kale.
Website- Our Vegetable Travelers 

No comments:

Post a Comment